"Being a food tour guide is the coolest job - I get to meet the most fun guests and owners, learn and relay interesting facts about our city, and show folks around town."
Tour Guide Job Description
Our Off The Beaten Path Food Tour Guide is responsible for engaging and entertaining up to 15 guests, but most tours have 2-8 people. They must be able to command a crowds attention for several hours while divulging all relevant and important information. Each tour is approximately 1.5-3 hours, with tours on (tour dependent) on weekdays or weekends. Positions currently available for tours in all cities including: Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Lowell, and Northampton.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Respectful and maintain professional approach to all staff of restaurant partners and guests (critical)
- Must be acutely aware of surroundings at all time keeping guests close and being respectful of pedestrians, stroller and handicap wheelchairs on sidewalks.
- Crowd Control
- Give purposeful presentation
- Good Time Management Skills
- Tech Savvy
- Remember the facts: both history and modern happenings to tell the guests
- Walking for approx. 1-2 miles per tour
- Talking for approx. 1.5-3 hours per tour (owners will talk as well)
CHARACTERISTICS & QUALITIES
- Clean & professional appearance
- Well balanced and articulate communication skills
- Storytelling talent – Authenticity
- Exudes Confidence (including calmness)
- Well timed, respectful humor
- Friendly Disposition & Demeanor – Positive Spirit
- Charisma & Charm
- High Energy
- Eye Contact
- Poise & Posture
- Strong level of empathy
- Have interest in neighborhood history and food
This is a part-time position, payable via a 10-99 independent consulting contract. The consultant will invoice us for her/his time and also retain all receipts for money spent on the tour with the business debit card to be saved and given to owners. The consultant must be available for tours per our unique arrangement, and we close bookings 48 hours in advance so won’t know until that time if a tour is booked or not by guests. We can only pay guides for booked tours that actually occur.
If interested, please fill out the form below or contact us at email@example.com with your resume and cover letter and let us know how we may be able to work together! We are open to setting up new tours in your city or adding you to our schedule for existing tours.